iPod catches fire in man's pocket

A US airport worker says his iPod Nano caught fire in his trousers.

Share

A US airport worker says his iPod Nano caught fire in his trousers.

The nearly two year-old iPod caught fire in the pocket of Danny Williams at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, where he is employed, according to Williams' mother. The flames lasted 15 seconds and fire reached up to his chest, his mother said in a telephone interview.

Apple representatives were not immediately available for comment, but the company has since sent a packet to Danny to return the iPod Nano, she said.

Glossy paper in his pocket may have shielded Williams from getting burned by the fire, he said in local news reports. "If airport security had come by and seen me smoking, they could have honestly thought I was a terrorist," Williams is quoted as saying.

The iPod contains a lithium-ion battery, which has a history of catching fire in laptops. Since December 2005 these batteries have been blamed for meltdowns and fires in several computers. Last year several manufacturers, including Apple, Dell, and Lenovo were forced to recall millions of the batteries.

Now take part in our How Green is your IT? survey.

Find your next job with computerworld UK jobs