Days after T-Mobile made a high profile U-turn on plans to cut its customers’ mobile data allowances, its leading rivals have been unable to offer assurances that they will never do the same.
O2, T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile and Three all insisted that at the moment they do not have plans to cut customers’ allowances.
But not one, when asked, provided assurances to Computerworld UK that it will never cut allowances, in spite of the uproar over the T-Mobile changes. Orange, which merged with T-Mobile last year, had not provided a direct answer at the time of writing.
On Wednesday, T-Mobile announced that a new Fair Usage Policy bandwidth cap would operate once users hit 500MB in a single calendar month. Once that limit was reached, users would still be able to read emails and web pages, but more taxing applications like video and audio would be blocked.
During the day, there was a public outcry over the moves, with customers complaining heavily on the internet and phoning to cancel their contracts. By late afternoon, T-Mobile had changed its plans, and apologised for what it branded “confusion”.
None of T-Mobile's rivals directly said it would preserve data allowances permanently. A spokesperson at Three said the company has “no plans to change our data allowance”, including its unlimited data allowance.
T-Mobile and Virgin Mobile both said that they had “no plans” to make changes. O2 added that it has “no current plans” to modify data allowances, which it set six months ago.