Natwest has apologised after customers were unable to access accounts through the bank’s mobile app on Friday morning.
App users were unable to load account information from the app on smartphone devices, with latency experienced between 9.05am and 9.45am the bank said.
Natwest, part of Royal Bank of Scotland Group, responded to comment on Twitter by customers as reports of problems appeared on the social networking site.
Natwest tweeted: “Sorry if you had trouble getting into Mobile Banking. Our service is now running as normal, thanks for your patience."
According to Natwest the cause of the problem was due to a large increase in demand for its app, though further technical details were not available.
"We've had huge demand for our app this morning, which led to some customers experiencing the app running slowly for half an hour. We apologise for the inconvenience caused," a spokesperson said.
Natwest has experienced a number of problems with its IT infrastructure in the past, with a major outage last year costing the retail bank £175 million after a botched upgrade that was made to batch processing software CA 7 from CA Technologies.. The outage, which affected millions of customers for up to a month, is currently the subject of an investigation by financial sector watchdog the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Natwest customers were again unable to access accounts in March following another IT related outage, said to be related to the bank’s hardware.
The bank recently indicated that it would be increasing its investment in IT over the next two year, adding £450 million on top of the usual £2 billion spend in order to develop increased resilience to prevent against further problems.