Research in Motion has released a new maintenance upgrade for BES 4.1 for Exchange Service Pack 6, which addresses known issues in with the BlackBerry Attachment Service, BlackBerry Messaging Agent and device logging, among others.
Available for free via RIM's website, BES for Microsoft Exchange 4.1 SP6 Maintenance Release 1 (MR1) fixes a bug that has kept some users with Exchange 2007 environments from sending vCard attachments from their BlackBerry devices.
The maintenance release also addresses a flaw that hindered some users with Exchange 2003 and 2007 environments from checking the availability of other BES users, among other fixes. A complete list of the issues resolved in BES 4.1 for Exchange SP6 MR1, along with additional information on the update, can be found in the associated release notes.
To install the update, first ensure the necessary system requirements are available - the requirements are also listed in the release notes - and follow these six simple steps.
Install BES 4.1 for Exchange SP6 MR1
1. While logged in to a BES computer, in the Windows Services, cease all BES services
2. Double-click on besx416mr1.zip
3. Extract the setup program files to an easy to find location on your hard drive
4. Browse and locate the setup program files on your computer, then double-click setup.exe
5. Click Update, follow all configuration instructions and hit Finish
6. Restart all BES services in Windows Services
Verify MR1 Install
1. Open your computer's Control Panel (On the taskbar, hit Start then Settings and Control Panel)
2. Select Add/Remove Programs
3. Choose BlackBerry Enterprise Server from the list of program and hit Support Information
4. Version number should read: 4.1.6 MR1 (Rollup) (Bundle 60)
Find your next job with computerworld UK jobs