The biggest salary increases for IT professionals are for roles in big data analytics, ecommerce and mobile and IT security, according to the Robert Half 'Technology 2014 Salary Guide'.
The global recruitment agency says salaries for all these roles will rise by four percent or more this year compared to 2013, outpacing the average UK salary rise rate of 2.5 percent.
The findings of the Salary Guide follow a report from the UK Commission for Employment and Skills (UKCES), which said that employment in the IT industry grew 5.5 percent between 2009 and 2012 - more than three times faster than the UK average.
Robert Half said directors are already reporting IT skills shortages and "challenges" in finding IT professionals, particularly in software/applications development, infrastructure, cloud technology and security.
"The trend is being driven by the need for organisations to remain commercially focused, looking to enhance employee productivity by updating desktop and business applications, while also investing in customer-facing initiatives to provide a dynamic online experience," said Robert Half.
Phil Sheridan, senior managing director for Robert Half Technology, said: “Technology is a key element in the recovery of the UK economy, whether it’s supporting new propositions or helping to improve business operations.
"Candidates with the most sought-after skills are receiving multiple job offers and employers looking to secure the industry’s top talent are finding that lengthy interview rounds are prompting their top choices to accept competing offers."
Sheridan said: “Companies will use technology to grow their businesses as we emerge from the economic downturn. Candidates with a strong sense of commerciality and business acumen as well as technical skills are increasingly called on to manage product development lifecycles and deliver business solutions.”
Jobs with highest UK average percentage salary increases this year of around four percent (top salary rates are even higher in London):
- Database/business intelligence developer - salary range of between £40,000 and £63,500
- Web designer - range of between £38,500 and £52,500
- Information security manager - £65,000 to £90,500
- Information security officer - £40,000 to £65,250
- Mobile applications developer - £33,500 to £62,500
Jobs with best total pay in UK in 2014 (rates higher in London):
- Chief information officer (CIO) - between £120,500 and £230,000-plus
- Chief technology officer (CTO) - £79,750 to £150,250
- Chief information security officer (CISO) - £75,000 to £134,500
- Chief architect - £78,750 to £143,500
- IT director - £89,250 to £120,750
- IT manager/head of IT - £77,000 to £108,500
Find your next job with computerworld UK jobs