New US president Barack Obama is promising a major drive to overcome the digital divide in the United States of America.
Having made spectacular use of online media to get his message across and rally support for his campaign, Obama is promising US citizens a new era of access to basic IT services and IT enabled democracy. He is promising real time participation in government discussions and greater access to government documents.
For businesses, Obama is promising tax breaks on research and development, online tracking of government tenders and contracts and the enforcement of anti-trust laws.
Among the detailed promises made by Obama are:
- Universal access to fast broadband
- Electronic medical records
- Real time participation in government
- Increased basic research funding.
- R&D tax credits
- Online access to government data.
- Tracking of government contracts and lobbying contracts.