Norton AntiVirus 2012 is a powerful anti-virus suite from Symantec.
The program installed smoothly and easily on our test system, and was immediately ready to go (no reboot required). A simpler interface means you can be running your first scan in just a couple of clicks.
AntiVirus 2012 also offers comprehensive real time protection, even in this early release. Its Auto-Protect system runs constantly in the background, watching the files you access, detecting and removing threats before they can do any damage. Download Insight 2.0 uses data from other Norton users to warn you about dangerous files, and Symantec's SONAR behaviour monitoring has been enhanced to pick up even more malware.
The program has plenty of other features to offer, and the best way to explore these is via the settings dialog. You'll discover how you can schedule scans to run when your PC idle; check your emails and instant messages for viruses; and find controls to monitor your browser, network, application performance, and many more.
If you're less lucky, and run into problems, then the new Autofix feature may be able to address them automatically. Just click Support > Get Support and it'll try to solve any issues it finds with your installation.
Note that this is the 30-day trial of Norton AntiVirus 2012.
Norton AntiVirus 2012 v19.8 ships with these improvements/fixes:
- Added full Windows 8 compatibility
- Performance enhancements for Internet Explorer 10
- Fixed a Symantec Service Framework error that may have occurred when changing firewall rules (forum thread)
- Fixed an issue where scanning large external hard drives showed only "1 file scanned"
- Fixed an issue where Identity Safe Cards fills the same locations for Country & County fields
Norton AntiVirus 2012 builds on the performance success of the previous version and adds a number of small but essential new features.