Comodo Internet Security Premium 8 is a collection of powerful tools which aims to keep your PC safe from even the very latest in malware threats.
The suite includes a strong antivirus engine and smart firewall. Comodo's "Defense+" system monitors program activities, looking for malware-like behaviour. The virtual desktop provides an isolated environment where you can run programs, or browse the web, without any risk to your system. And URL filtering keeps you safe by blocking access to malicious sites.
Most of this works entirely automatically, and so novice users can simply carry on using their PC just as they did before.
But if you need more control, Comodo Internet Security Premium has plenty to explore. You can monitor process activity in an extended Task Manager, or Comodo's Killswitch; there's a configurable sandbox for running suspect applications; a versatile Host Intrusion Protection System helps you define exactly what programs can (and can't) do on your system, and a host of settings and options ensure the program works exactly as you'd like.
New features this time include an auto-sandboxing policy, which by default keeps dubious programs isolated from your PC.
If this doesn't suit your needs, no problem: it's now possible to set up your own auto-sandboxing rules, using parameters like file reputation and origin.
Comodo Internet Security 8 now takes advantage of hardware virtualisation when available, allowing the program to operate at the hypervisor level. An improved Viruscope makes it easier to monitor your system for unwanted applications. Comodo Internet Security logs events to the Windows Event Logs, useful when you're troubleshooting.
This all comes packaged in a flat-look interface, which has also been redesigned to simplify navigation.
Note that the Premium version is free. You can upgrade to Pro, Complete and Plus versions, with additional functionality such as a virus guarantee and much more.
What's new in v12?
- Secure Shopping. When using Secure Shopping, websites will open inside a security-hardened virtual environment which is isolated from the rest of your computer. This creates a threat resistant tunnel between you and your target website which cannot be monitored or attacked by any other processes running on your computer.
- Unblock Applications. Comodo's new unblock applications feature allows you to release applications with a single click from whichever security component has blocked them.
- Added ability to remove vendors rated by Comodo from Vendor List
- The issue where system becomes unresponsive with specific viruscope settings
- The issue where non PE files cannot be submitted by 'Submit Files'
- The issue where user rating was not applied in 'Vendor List' for vendor with name starts with space
Comodo 8 isn't a mjaor upgrade, but the package still has plenty of security tools to explore, and experts will appreciate the new sandboxing flexibility.