My Family Tree is an excellent tool for recording just about every possible detail on your family history.
The program imports existing trees from GEDCOM files, or you can easily start from scratch, adding individuals and a host of details on them: relationships, photos and stories, video, audio, general attachments, even genetics.
There's plenty of depth to these options, too. An extensive "Details" section allows you to add the name, birth and death dates, nationality, religion, social security number, title, education, description, confirmation date, first communion and more.
Relationships are reasonably flexible: children can be "natural", "adopted" or foster", a spouse can be "current" or "former", an "Unrelated" option allows you to connect friends, witnesses or others you might need to reference later.
Even a basic tool like adding an image manages to impress, with support for scanners, one or two basic editing options ("Rotate", "Sepia"), printing, slideshows and more.
The core family tree view is very configurable. You might choose to show all generations, just immediate family, maybe those born after a particular date; there are options to hide descendants, ancestors, siblings and more; you can show or hide dates, photos, genders and so on; there are even built-in themes to change the background and colour scheme.
A host of other views are just a click away. There's an ancestors tree; an interactive timeline; lists of sources, photos, stories and more, and handy pages of statistics and family details. (If you'd like a count of the surnames in your family tree, say, or a graph showing the distribution of family ages at death then you'll find them here.)
A set of useful reports provides further ways to analyse your tree, most notably highlighting possible errors: people who've lived "too long", have no parents, have duplicate named children, have events after death, and so on.
And the program is rounded off with plenty of small but welcome extras, such as its ability to password-protect your tree and ensure its details remain private.
Version 18.104.22.168 brings (changelog):
- Added support for additional non-standard date formats when importing from GEDCOM.
- Added support for importing FHS files which were created on systems using alternative code pages.
- Added support for replacing an existing multimedia file with another.
- Improvements to handling of LF CR line terminator when reading GEDCOM files.
- Improvements to warnings and invalid character detection when dealing with GEDCOM files with illegal encoding.
- Improvements to handling of GEDCOM ALIA tag.
- Improvements to file merge.
- Improvements to high contrast themes.
- Improvements to find and replace item context.
- Improvements to performance.
- Improvements to file load performance.
- Improvements to display of the spouse relationship status in the families view.
- Improvements to PAF, FHS, and GEDCOM import speed.
- Improvements to chart performance when editing dates.
- Improvements to fact list performance when editing dates.
- Updated list of LDS temples.
- Updated French, Spanish, Catalan, Swedish, Turkish, and Polish translations.
- Updated GEDCOM export to only support GEDCOM 5.5.1 with UTF-8.
A very powerful family tree management tool which comes crammed with essential features and functionality.