The problem with many screen capture tools is that, while they can often be customised to switch between capturing in full screen, windowed or custom modes, it can be awkward to continually configure them as required. This is an issue that SnagIt addresses by offering eleven preset capture modes that can be activated with simple keyboard combinations. The program can be used to capture anything you see on screen - and in the case of the option to capture entire web pages, even things you can't see - and the captures are automatically stored in the program interface ready for further editing or converting to various image formats.
Image editing options are basic, but more than enough to cater for basic screenshot editing. From cropping and scaling to adding text and drop shadows, all of the tools you could need are close to hand. If you frequently perform the same actions with your screen captures - such as resizing them to particular dimensions, adding the same text label and saving them in a specific format - this can be saved as a keyboard shortcut for easy access.
Captures can be shared with others by posting them directly to Flickr, your blog or sending them via instant message or email. The fact that captures are automatically saved means that there is no need to remember to do so manually, but if you do want to help to keep things organised, detailed tagging options are available. For those difficult to capture moments, a timer can be configured to give you time to ensure that onscreen furniture is correctly positioned before a screenshot is taken for you.
This is an incredibly versatile tool that can be completely customised to suit your needs. It can be made as simple or as complicated as you need it to be, and for this it is to be applauded.
What's new in v2018.2.2 (see the full changelog for more info)?
- Removed goo.gl short links due to service retiring. Previous links will continue to work.
- Fixed issue where some updates were not being recognized by Snagit updater.
- Updated registration of GIF codec to prevent repairs during Windows updates.
- Fixed issue where some machines would not go to sleep when Snagit was running.
- Resolved last used tool not remembered after closing Snagit.
- Resolved unable to initiate subsequent captures from the taskbar menu.
- Improved stability for long webcam recordings and when starting a video with webcam.
- Resolved some webcams remaining on at all times when Snagit is running.
- Improved messaging around accessing the microphone due to disabled Microphone Privacy Settings in Windows 10.
- Improved Bluetooth devices not playing audio while Snagit is running. There may still be issues with certain Bluetooth devices that may still have issues while recording.
- Enabled Grab Text on cloud virtual machines (e.g., Amazon and Azure).
- Fixed issue that turned off in-app messages after updating Snagit.
- Updated French offline help document.
- Other bug fixes, performance enhancements, and security improvements.
One of the most well-rounded screen capture tools available which features everything you could possibily need.