Shotcut is a free, open-source and cross-platform video editor.
The program uses the popular FFmpeg to import source files, which means there's no need to worry about format support: it'll open just about every video variant that's ever existed.
There's also support for capturing resolutions up to 4k from SDI, HDMI, webcam, JACK & Pulse audio, IP stream, X11 screen and Windows DirectShow devices.
A straightforward interface ensures you'll be up-to-speed immediately, and offers plenty of ways to customise your working environment.
There are lots of video filters, from simple colour/ brightness/ contrast tweaks, fade ins and outs, transitions and so on, to special effects, video compositing and blending modes, chroma key, HTML overlay and more.
Shotcut offers almost as many audio effects and filters, with fades, balance, bass and treble, band pass, delay, downmix, normalize, pan, reverb and more.
All this is editable on a highly configurable multitrack timeline, then exported in whatever video format you need.
19.04.30 adds (see changelog for more):
- Upgraded Qt to version 5.9.7.
- Changed Width and Height minimum to 0 for Blur filter.
- Set the Save as type list on all file save dialogs (convert, reverse, text, EDL, image).
- Improved the quality of Export Frame > WebP.
- Show “Not Seekable” instead of “Live” when opening a non-seeable clip (or device or stream).
- Show a status message when trying to drag from Project player.
- Prefer loading DLLs in Shotcut’s install folder over those in System32.
- Default the out point of the Color, Count, and Text generator clips to the same as image duration (default 4 seconds).
- Added Offset to Timer video filter.
- Added Vertical HD 30 fps and Vertical HD 60 fps video modes.
- Added support for HTTPS.
- Added --QT_SCALE_FACTOR and --QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS command line options.
- Added English (Great Britain) translation.
Shotcut isn't for the complete video editing novice, but it's not difficult to use, and if you're willing to spend time learning the basics then there's a lot of power just waiting to be unleashed.