CyberLink PowerDirector 13 is the latest edition of this popular, feature-packed video editor.
The program includes everything you need to create professional videos. There's a 100 track timeline to organise your movie; more than 500 effects, transitions and objects to apply; smart filters to stabilise shaky camera work, remove noise and fix lighting issues; powerful audio tools, excellent 3D support, and a huge selection of export options: DVDs, Blu-rays, a host of video formats, direct uploading to Facebook, YouTube, DailyMotion and more.
That would be impressive enough all on its own, but PowerDirector 13 takes the franchise even further with some interesting new and enhanced features.
The bundled Transition Designer allows you to create your own transition effects from any image, for instance, with full keyframe control helping to deliver the precise results you need.
The new Title Designer offers even more creative opportunities, with 120+ video effects on hand to produce your own custom titles.
Extended file format support means PowerDirector 13 can now handle H.265/HEVC, 2K/4K and XAVC-S files. That's not just a footnote, either: CyberLink claims H.265/HEVC can save "up to 32% in file size compared to H.264 format under same compression quality".
A new Android/ Windows 8 PowerDirector Mobile app delivers capable editing on the move, with good drag and drop support, 40+ effects and transitions, and 10GB cloud storage space for a year. Projects can be continued on the desktop, or uploaded directly to YouTube or Facebook.
Elsewhere, various improvements include better image stabilisation, a more powerful menu designer, and new support for automatically synchronising up to 100 camera clips on the timeline.
PowerDirector is available in multiple versions. This one, PowerDirector Ultra, includes everything we've described above, as well as the WaveEditor 2 Express application, and a basic set of effects and templates (Content Pack Essential and Premium, NewBlue Video Essential 1, ProDad Adorage Filter).
PowerDirector Ultimate takes the same feature set, and adds $650 of premium effects, including NewBlueFX Video Essential 5, NewBlue Titler Pro v1, Wedding Pack and Holiday Pack.
PowerDirector Deluxe takes the Ultra product and leaves out the cloud storage, mobile app, Content Pack Premium effects, and many of the program's more advanced features (multicam editing, content aware editing, transition designer, 4K/ SAVC-S/ H.265/HEVC/ 3D support, Blu-ray authoring).
But if you can afford it, PowerDirector Ultimate Suite has everything in PowerDirector Ultimate, adds the applications AudioDirector 5 and ColorDirector 3, includes CyberLink's Travel Pack 2, and doubles your cloud storage to 20GB.
What's new in build 2907?
- Fixes the issue that the background animation opacity of some title templates is reduced.
- Fixes the issue that the “Motion Blur” checkbox in the PIP Designer will be unchecked after reopening the PIP Designer.
- Fixes the issue that the import progress dialog will not close after completing a voice over recording.
- Fixes the issue that Scene Detection doesn't work for DV-AVI clips.
- Fixes the issue that the audio becomes unlinked from video clips on the timeline when a project is reopened.
- Fixes the issue that imported iPhone 6 video (recorded in portrait) has incorrect thumbnail previews in the media library and timeline.
- Fixes the crash issue encountered when recording is stopped in the MultiCam Designer with specific video clips.
- Fixes crash issue encountered while implementing “Set Chapter” feature in Create Disc.
PowerDirector 13 isn't as major an upgrade as the last release, but the program still has plenty to offer every level of user, and it remains the best consumer video editor around.