WhatsApp Messenger is the world's most popular instant messaging app for smartphones.
You can use it to send and receive text and voice messages, photos, videos, even call your friends in other countries, and because it uses your phone's internet connection it might not cost you anything at all (depending on whether you'll pay data charges).
It's easy to set up and use. There's no need to create and remember new account names or pins because it works with your phone number, and uses your regular address book to find and connect you with friends who use WhatsApp already.
You can talk one-to-one or in group chats, and because you're always logged in there's no way to miss messages. Even if your phone is turned off, WhatsApp will save your messages and display them as soon as you're back online.
There's plenty more (location sharing, contact exchange, message broadcasting) and the app is free for a year, currently $0.99/ year afterwards.
What's new in 2.16.11?
- Due to a bug in iOS 10, your notification sounds may not properly play until you restart your iPhone (press and hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds).
- In groups, you can now mention specific people to get their attention by typing the @ symbol and choosing someone from the picker.
- When forwarding messages, you can now send to multiple chats at once
- Ask Siri to send WhatsApp messages or place WhatsApp calls (iOS 10+)
- Answer WhatsApp calls right from your lock screen, just like a standard phone call (iOS 10+)
- A new Widget lets you quickly jump to a recent chat or see which chats have unread messages (iOS 10+)
A great messaging app with a pile of features, good value too