- The combination keyboard/cover is genius. The keyboard on the tablet I used is the flat, non-tactile one instead of the one with Chiclet keys, but like the iPad it cleans the screen when it's closed. I got used to the feel quickly but would still prefer a tactile keyboard if I bought one.
- The performance is smooth and quick. I find RT to be very responsive on the Surface. It's not quite as fluid as iOS on an iPad, but it's close, and the touchscreen is precise. The screen is also bright and clear with rich, vibrant colors - at least to my eyes.
- It feels heavy but solid. Any concerns about Microsoft as a hardware vendor will vanish in the first 5 minutes with it. One glitch however: This was the second Surface for this client because the original device was defective and wouldn't recognize the keyboard, so there may be some QA glitches with early versions.
- I use the touchscreen more than the touchpad. I thought I'd have a hard time giving up the mouse, but found myself tapping the screen even though the Surface has a mini touchpad. It's a natural motion, and I found Office 2013 Preview a joy to use - but did need to use the touchpad for some things.
- It takes time to get used to the new Windows interface. I like the new Windows experience a lot overall, but the main frustration for me is having to install both the touch version and the desktop version of apps in some cases - one from the Windows App Store and the other from the vendor's website.
This wasn't obvious until I spent 30 minutes a few weeks ago in frustration trying to figure out why Evernote wouldn't launch on the traditional desktop on the Slate I have, for example.
- Many of the apps are new to the Microsoft touch interface, and it shows. I am totally dependent upon Evernote and love the latest version on the iPad, but the Windows touch version is not yet as good -very hard to navigate, and it doesn't support rich text editing yet, which will be a deal breaker for some. Still, the app store for RT seems to be ramping up quickly.
Also in slideshows :